THE FUTURE IS UNBUILT
Your building vision, realized off-site
Building off-site with permanent modular construction is not a new concept, yet the steadily rising interest of owners, architects, contractors and developers gained as they explore the increasing number of sophisticated building projects realized today, could have us imagine it’s a ground-breaking revolution in construction. The innovation is not in the model itself. The innovation is in the amplified adoption of the model, as off-site construction soars to challenge conventional on-site methods today, for speed, quality and enhanced sustainability.
At NRB we have been at the forefront of this cutting-edge transformation in project delivery alternatives. We build state-of-the-art facilities with the permanence and performance of conventional construction with better quality, in less time, with less on-site activity. Guaranteed.
Permanent modular construction (PMC) is simply an alternative project delivery method that moves the building construction process away from the exposed site location to a controlled plant environment where it is fabricated with care, control and less environmental impact. PMC can offer any level of customization and complexity from a single-story school addition to a multi-story student residence; from a quick service restaurant to a medical imaging center. A facility built by NRB realizes the owner or architects vision, program requirements or building science and technology needs.
- Because the environment matters. Building off-site in a controlled environment is an inherently “greener” process” by reducing waste upstream in the manufacturing environment and site disturbance downstream to protect the eco-system and the surrounding community. NRB designed and built the first LEED Gold commercial modular building in Canada.
- We offer design flexibility. At NRB, our qualified technical staff work closely with our clients and their design consultants through our design-assist program to help you achieve exactly what you need – no more and no less. We make sure that you get the most effective and efficient modular design possible without compromise to your needs.
- We will have you open sooner. We have better control over everything – from daily workforce attendance without weather delays to concurrently building for you while the site development takes place. When all the off-site construction “best practices” are engaged, we can reduce the schedule time by as much as 50%.
- Better construction quality management. Building in our clean and controlled environment protects material and reduces pollutants. We have a stringent QA/QC program that facilitates hold points for clients for their own inspections during fabrication.
- Reduce your on-site time and activity. By constructing your building to about 90% completion at our plant, we can significantly reduce your on-site time for trades, project management and supervision, freeing up some of your key people to get a jump start on another project sooner.
The Harvard Pagliuca Life Lab
The Harvard Pagliuca Life Lab, was designed by Shepley Bulfinch, built off site by NRB, and is the newest member of the Harvard Innovation Labs ecosystem. It is a 15,000 sq. ft state-of-the-art wet lab facility made possible by a gift from Judy and Steve Pagliuca. The first floor is a beautifully appointed space designed for flexibility and connectivity in an open concept form to encourage cross-team collaboration. It has a large central ornamental staircase and floor to ceiling glass, a lounge, work tables, shared conference rooms, a walk-through kitchen, and even the 21st century version of a “phone booth” for quiet conversations. The second floor cantilevers out over the first floor by 14’ and houses the complex lab spaces including 36 wet lab benches, tissue culture rooms, fume hoods, a chemical waste system and a walk-in environmental cold room
Harvard University Pagliuca Life Lab
Building success. Together.
NRB is known across North America for our creative problem solving and collaborative approach to projects. We teach and we learn. We like nothing more than to work closely with project owners, architects, engineers and construction professionals to ensure that the aesthetic and functional vision of a project is achieved with all the benefits of modular construction. We’ve also been at the forefront of industry changes, playing an important role on boards and committees of the Modular Building Institute and National Institute of Building Sciences. We bring our “yes we can” attitude and cooperative spirit to everything we work on so you can have it all—in less time.